It appears it is time once again for my SOAP BOX.
I have a friend who is an instructor for a well known school and who’s license was do for renewal. Ok, no problem right? It has now been 6 weeks and guess what still no renewal. History of events.
- He made application on his own (how simple should that be) for Renewal - Increase in Tonnage from 50 to 100 -Increase in Waters from Inland to Near Coastal (this is a very simple application and should have been completed and his MMC issued within days)
- He mailed it into the local REC (no problem)
- The Local REC forwarded his application to NMC (still no problem)
- NMC Received his application (no problem)
- Evaluator got the application to process AND THAT IS WHEN THE PROBLEMS BEGAN!
- Captain P sent in 520 days on near coastal waters and this should, without a doubt, qualified him for master near coastal according to 46 CFR 11.428
- Captain P sent 180 days on vessels over 51 GRT, which should have raised his tonnage to 100 GRT without a doubt, according to 46 CFR 11.422
- Evaluator worked on this problem and sent him a letter stating that he did not qualify for the near coastal because he needed 720 days (Hey Ditz, look at his file and ALL of his sea service)
- Captain P questioned this and asked for a re-evaluation
- After 2 weeks, Evaluator sent another letter stating he did not qualify for the near coastal quoting 46 CFR 11.422 (please read this CFR cite and tell me what in the hell this has to do with raising your tonnage?)
- Then the Evaluator stated he needed an additional 24 days on vessels over 34 GRT to qualify for the 100 GRT - Captain P had already sent in 180 days on over 51 GRT
- The Evaluator sent him another letter stating that his application had been re-evaluated and that he was not qualified for QMED. HE DIDN’T EVEN APPLY FOR QMED for crying out load.
- Captain P, after may attempts to contact said evaluator via telephone and e-mail, got through (Oh happy days)
- The evaluator apologized for the paragraph in the letter concerning his QMED and said that it was an over sight on their part and it is very difficult to keep all of the evaluations straight. OH MY GOD! If he didn’t qualify for 100 GRT or QMED WHO’ S FILE WERE THEY LOOKING AT TO BEGIN WITH?
- The time has now been 5 weeks for this evaluation
- Captain P, spoke to said evaluator and was totally dumbfounded at the INEPTITUDE of this individual. This evaluator LITERALLY DID NOT KNOW about 46 CFR 11.428 (master near coastal) so Captain P, literally had to TRAIN his evaluator on what the regulations are.
- His Evaluator said they would take another look at everything and get back to him by the end of the week, making this 6 weeks.
Captain P has spoken to his Senator’s office and has a letter written to be sent to them no matter the outcome of this. Captain P’s approach to this has been stellar and he has kept his temper in check, BUT, he must follow through and let his Senator know just how many jobs and how much income he has lost because of the INEPTITUDE of just this one evaluator, (think about all of the other evaluators who are doing the same thing to you). The Senators, Congressmen and Representatives cannot help correct the problems at NMC unless they are made aware of the situation.
THIS IS YOUR LIVELIHOOD THAT NMC IS MUCKING ABOUT WITH. BUT IF YOU DON’T CARE, DON’T SHARE.
Ok down off my soap box now, until later. I deal with this sort of thing everyday but you should not have to.
Touch Keys with you later,